Students may start preparing their master's thesis after having aqquired 70 credit points. The master's thesis can be issued and supervised by any university teacher with post-doctoral qualification in the subject who belongs to the Department of Mechanical Engineering at TU Dortmund University, Ruhr-University Bochum or University of Duisburg-Essen. If the master's thesis is to be carried out in another institution of the university or in an institution outside the university, this requires the approval of the Examination Board.
You will receive the documents (including the “Certification of Issuance of the Master’s Thesis Topic Manufacturing Technology”) for registering the master's thesis during the office hours of the Examination Office Team 3, where it will also be checked whether you have fulfilled the requirements for the master's thesis. The "Certification of Issuance of the Master’s Thesis Topic Manufacturing Technology" must be returned to the Examination Office promptly after the topic has been issued by the chair.
The completion period begins with the issue date of the topic noted on the form. However, the completion period begins at the latest when the form is handed into the Examination Office. The processing time is always 24 weeks!
In case of illness, an extension of the completion period is possible, provided that a medical certificate is submitted within the completion period. The extension then corresponds to the duration of the illness. The certificate must be submitted to the Examinations Office. Furthermore, a one-time application can be made to the Examination Board for an extension of the completion period if there is a delay due to an incident that is not self-inflicted. This must be submitted to the Study Coordination at least 14 days before the end of the completion period and allows an extension of a maximum of 4 weeks. For the approval of the application, it is mandatory that the justification is confirmed by the supervisor (signature & stamp).
Since the winter semester 2019/2020, all degree programs at TU Dortmund University require students to submit their theses in digital form via the online portal ExaBase. This applies to all theses registered from 01 October 2019 onwards. This means you have the opportunity to submit your thesis digitally in the form of a PDF document.
- The bachelor/master thesis is uploaded to the ExaBase portal of TU Dortmund.
- The affidavit for the Bachelor/Master thesis must be signed by hand, scanned, and inserted into the digital version.
- After the successful submission of the thesis, you will receive a receipt to your Email address.
Further information can be found on the checklist "Digital Final Thesis".
In order to receive the final documents and the certificate, you need to submit an "Application for preparation of the final documents" to the Examinations Office (Team 3).
- Examination Sheet for the Grading of the Master's Thesis: To be completed by the examiners. S/he enters your grade of the written thesis, signs it accordingly, and sends it back to the Examination Office.
- Information regarding the Master's Thesis: For information only, should be read, noted, and kept by the students.
- Certification of Completion of the Master's Thesis Manufacturing Technology for Registration of the Oral Defence: Provided by the Examination Office after all the other grades have arrived there. It states that you meet all the preconditions to defend your thesis. Fill it, let it be signed by the supervising chair, and hand it back to the Examination Office.
- Examination Sheet for the Grading of the Oral Defence of the Master's Thesis: Give it to your supervisor, who will enter your oral grade and send it back to the Examination Office, then your master course is officially over, you are a free person and can state proudly that you have handled German administration.